Wednesday, August 17, 2011

be kind anyway

Before heading out of town on Thursday, Daniel and I had a "meeting" with Brian Sorgenfrei (RUF minister at State). We had been playing phone tag all summer and finally got a chance to talk. It was Daniel's first time - he really enjoyed Brian. During a cup of coffee, we started telling him our story. Let me back up... Brian was a member at First Presbyterian Church in Jackson and his dad actually interviewed me. When I ended up leaving Jackson, Brian was informed on the situation. He was very loving and wanted to help in any way. So back to City Bagel... Daniel and I started explaining our emotions about living in a college town, being married, guilt, excitement for the baby, etc. Brian was so helpful and real. I'm not going in depth, but one thing he said was... "If you're going to sit here and tell me everything's great, you're lying. I'm glad y'all don't know what to do or how to act. I'm glad you're not content." He reminded us that it was okay to be uncertain. Child, you're forgiven and loved. Yes- a lot of things have worked out, but nothing is perfect. It will never be perfect. If it was then why did Christ die? We need thee... Oh, we need thee. Every hour we need thee. After talking, we agreed (loved to) to meet with Brian this semester for marriage guidance (how to be a husband & how to be a wife). I am so thankful for his leadership and compassion. I'm excited we get to hear him preach on Thursdays - another positive of being in Starkville. 

Liza, Annie, Brian and Shelby

We soon left town and headed to Jackson. Daniel had an interview with a financial planning group, and I was meeting with Jeremy Smith at First Pres. His interview went really well! He was told not to talk about the stock market - that he had been watching/stalking all week. I wonder why? I dropped him off then drove to the church. I had a lot of mixed emotions, but was dying to see my old co-workers. I walked in the door and met Heather, Cory Brock and Justin! How great it was to see them. Anytime I talk about my job or First Pres I get a lump in my throat... then cry. It killed me to leave. I then walk upstairs to see Jeremy and run into Mr. Billy Joseph and Miss Jan (Dr. Duncan's assistant). I can't tell you how great it was to hug her neck. I figured Ligon was out of the office, but I wanted to go ahead and ask, "Is Dr. Duncan here?" She said, "Yes!" and told him he had a visitor. I walked in and he acted like I was the prodigal son returning (haha). He gave me a big hug and we both couldn't stop smiling. Upon leaving I wasn't able to tell him good-bye. He is constantly traveling and encouraging ministers nationwide. Ligon has kept in contact with me all summer - who does that??? I know how busy the man is and he still makes time to send e-mails. What a great example! I really appreciate him taking the time to talk on Thursday - it was a breath of fresh air. 


Some FPC youth staff

Take me back.

Dr. Ligon Duncan


Next, I saw Jeremy Smith. He's over my internship for the fall. We talked about my project (developing 8 programs for FPC youth dealing with the culture - technology, sexuality, arguments between siblings, etc.) I am really looking forward to this research project- ask Daniel, I've spent X amount of $ in Biblical parenting books. Jeremy was also encouraging and made sure I knew First Pres was there for me. That's how "the church" should look.

After running around Jackson, we spent the night with the Millers. Mr. Bobby cooked steaks - nice break from turkey sandwiches. We enjoyed dinner and getting to visit with them. They have always been supportive and loving towards Daniel and me. After dinner, Mrs. Johna called to surprise Daniel. He might have another job offer! It was great news to Daniel and me. Thank you, Mrs. Johna! Connections... connections... connections... how the world goes 'round. 

Mrs. Georgia Miller and me

Mrs. Johna, me, Amanda and Latham - need an updated picture

Before heading home (Clinton, LA) Friday morning, we had a "date" with Justin Pillsbury and his wife, Caroline. He was my boss and she a ... mentor. They welcomed me like one of their own. I really enjoyed catching up with them! I am waiting for them to make a trip to Starkville soon. I also ran into Mr. Bebo Elkin (RUM/MS coordinator) from First Pres. He whispered in my ear, "You're wanted!" Those words have stuck out in my mind. For him to take the time... talk to us... then tell me I'm wanted... amazing! Did I mention how much I love the people of First Pres??? After breakfast, we stopped in Crystal Springs to see Mr. Danny and Mrs. Jonelle. Mr. Danny gave me some cooking tips while I was there - wonder who told him about the red beans? It was good to catch up with them since we didn't get to talk much at the wedding. 

Justin and Caroline ('06) - thought you'd get a good laugh, Caroline

Mr. Danny and Jonelle

After leaving Crystal Springs we had lunch with my dad, grandmother and Jill. It was a much needed lunch - I miss my family. Ok ok, it was kind of strange being married and coming home, but we quickly got over it. 


I miss them.



Yep- miss every single one of them

I love home. I love seeing the 12 miles to Clinton sign. It brings so much joy. That night we helped the ladies set up for the shower. When leaving, Mark was talking to us about our new rice cooker. I explained why Daniel won't buy minute rice (too expensive). Mark thought he was a tight wad and came back to the church with a 20 lb. bag of rice. It was priceless to see Daniel's face. He said, "We can use that for the collapse." Yeah yeah. Thanks, Mark!

Dave Ramsey's advice to newlyweds, "Eat rice and beans and beans and rice"

Saturday morning was my Clinton shower at the church. About 15 ladies gave it - thank you so much! The hostesses gave us a new TV!!! Daniel was dying to open it. We got a really nice mirror from mom, wooden frames, lots of kitchen gear and much more. We were so overwhelmed by all the nice gifts. It was a perfect shower - THANK YOU ALL FOR COMING! Daniel and I were actually sitting down last night talking about how the Lord has provided. We have a nice apartment... with really nice things... in the cotton district... He is too good. Daniel was talking about how we don't deserve it. It's true. We have learned how generous people are- we're just ready to give back. It was good for us to just sit and be amazed at how God has worked (and provided)


Momma, Mama Nan, Mrs. Charel and Mama June

delicious - especially Mrs. Michele's biscuits

Jacie, Jill & Mama Nan

being silly at the end

Mama June and Daniel

Daniel's immediate project 

Thank you, Heidi!


My favorite - our invitation framed... thank you, Betsy & Mrs. Karen

from Jill - Anthropologie towels

Momma - never fails

our 8x10 is finally framed - thank you handyman Hooge

Momma's happy to me - I'll always remember my bachelorette party

Daniel's 2nd favorite - All Clad! Thank you, Sue and Judy!

We needed you! Thanks, Mark!

Originally a planter, but we needed a cute utensil holder- thanks, Elams!

After the shower, mom, Miss Leslie, Jill, Mark, Daniel and me went to see "The Help". It was a great movie! It was really neat to see Fondren, Jackson and the delta. We'll be seeing it again!


 Sunday was very relaxing. We went to my home church in Clinton - Brother Tony just HAD to announce the newlyweds were back in town, haha. I loved seeing everyone! David Patrick was also dedicated that morning. It was a special time for Kelly and David Dart. We decided to just lay out on Sunday rather than driving back - I was all for that. 

Momma swimming with Gavin and Ethan

sweet Blanche

Monday morning came really soon. We packed up my car (couldn't fit a make-up bag). It was so packed - we could feel the back wheels the entire trip. Daniel was getting that TV home! Monday was also Bid Day for Mississippi State. That's always a fun day, because all the hard work pays off. I am so glad I'm done with rush (not to mention, I have 50,000 other things to worry about). It's so much fun (getting to know girls in your sorority better and meeting new ones), but exhausting. 

Hoooo's tired?





I was somehow drug into this year, but who knew being nice meant ulterior motives? It's an evil world we live in. Daniel and I have had multiple talks about "being the bigger man". We agreed it's not worth it. I've had this saying on my Facebook for a long time, and it reminds me: It's about you and God- love anyway. 



"People are often unreasonable, illogical, and self-centered; forgive them anyway. If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway. If you are successful you will win some false friends and true enemies; succeed anyway. If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; be honest and frank anyway. What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight; build anyway. If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; be happy anyway. The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; do good anyway. Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough; give the world the best you've got anyway. You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway". --Mother Teresa


Daniel and I have also started to memorize scripture each week. It's a great way of keeping our focus on God and Him leading. Daniel has been more than wonderful! I cannot tell you all the joy he has brought me. I actually cooked him a lasagna last night - and it was GOOD (not burned)! Please continue to keep us in your prayers - just trusting in the Lord's will. 

take my word

 On another note, we were driving home Friday morning and I checked my handy dandy app. I gasp because the size of the baby has changed. I tell Daniel to guess what fruit it is. I say, "It's green..." He has no idea. I continue with, "It can be used in dip." He then says, "I don't know - just tell me." I say, "It starts with an A and you use it to make guacamole". He yells out, "APRICOT!" Can you imagine my face? Haha, "NO! An avocado.... (5 inches)." I'm 4 months today (16 weeks) - do I feel any different? Nope. Hopefully I don't look any different. 


Today was Daniel's first day of his senior year (well, semester). He's a little overwhelmed with 21 hours, but I know he can do it. I'll start my internship after labor day - enjoying this free time off and walking around town! Do I have to start work? Just kidding... 


First day- he wouldn't let me take a picture
Dad made me look at my MSU billing statement ".00" No more out-of-state tuition!

Remember: Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21


No comments:

Post a Comment